Monday, February 20: Judges 15- Are you listening?.

Sampson is a wild man, impulsive and vindictive. Although the Spirit of the Lord comes upon him, there has been no hint in the text that he calls upon the Lord for strength and it doesn’t look like he has a devotional life either. Sampson is not the kind of man I would choose for a friend.

His brother Israelites seem to have much the same attitude toward Sampson as I do. They turn him over to the enemy in order to save their own skin. Still Sampson was a tool in God’s hand. God not only punished the Philistines through Sampson, he led Israel for 20 years. I don’t know that Israel grew closer to the Lord during those 20 years, but they apparently were safe and lived in moderate peace.

I am not sure what to make of Sampson. While he is a great story for a fun Sunday School lesson, I don’t think there is much spiritual maturity to emulate in him. So I sit and ask the Lord for my faith nugget today from this story.

Slowly the reminder came… “I am in control and I can use anyone of my choosing.”

How and why God chooses is His business and prerogative. My responsibility is to be open and faithful… faithful to step out whenever God calls. This means I need to be listening,  listening for God’s whisper and nudge.

We all need to be listening.  Are you?

Lord, open my ears that I may hear, open my eyes that I may see, open my heart that I might feel Your nudges and calls. And, Lord, when they come I pray for strength and obedience to respond ‘Yes’ immediately. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment