Thursday, February 9: Judges 6-Unlikely hero.

The book of Judges continues its parade of unlikely heroes. This time it is Gideon, a timid man with some but not much faith.  Gideon was a pretty average person.

From the previous sentence I begin to draw strength from the Word. I don’t think I could be a David or Moses… greats of the Scriptures. But maybe I could be a Gideon… open to the Lord and moderately available –not really eager or necessarily seeking to do great things for God –but open when God calls.

Gideon seems a little surprised when the angel of the Lord appears to him. I would be, too! And Gideon is a bit reluctant to do what God directs. He tears down the Baal altar at night, but because he was afraid of his family and the townspeople, he did it at night rather than in the daytime (27b).

As I sit this morning and consider Gideon, what rises to the top is that he did what the Lord asked of him. Doing God’s will is, after all, what God desires from us.

Lord, spurred on by Gideon, I say, “Here I am. I am Yours.” I place myself at Your disposal. Lord, I might need some convincing.  I might, at times, be slow to respond. Please forgive small faith. Like the father in the NT, I pray, “I believe, help me with my unbelief.”

Despite these lacks, I believe my deepest desire is to do Your will and to be Your man however You want me to be. Here I am, Lord. Use me…

Through Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment