Friday, December 24: Luke 21- Gift giving.

I am so used to thinking of Jesus as a baby in a manger on Christmas Eve, that it felt strange listening to Jesus talk about the destruction of Jerusalem and through that lens talk about His Second Coming. Jesus’ Second Coming is an Advent theme, but it is not a theme that often captivates my thinking. Maybe it should…

The verses that the Spirit seemed to highlight for my pondering this morning came at the opening of the chapter. In verses 1-4 Jesus observes the giving of money into the temple treasury. Some commentators suggest that since this wasn’t the temple tax, it was money given for the care of the poor. Listen in as Luke recounts the event. As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

Tonight in my house all my family will be present. Before we will go to bed, people will sprinkle gifts they have purchased for family members around the tree and tomorrow morning, we will rise and open our presents. It is fun to think about family member and buy them presents they truly want. Even as my kids have grown into adults, it is fun to see their faces as they open their gifts. I gain enjoyment watching their delight.

The text, however, presses my liberality in other directions… giving to God, giving to the poor, and not holding back in these giving selflessly. Some might say even the woman gave recklessly, she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.

This woman’s giving was not stimulated by slick marketing or the abundant wants, it was devotion to the Lord God Almighty…

Lord God, how do I grow in the kind of giving this poor woman exhibited? I know that this kind of giving pleases Jesus and I want to please Jesus, too, in this arena of my life and in every arena of my life. Holy Spirit, teach me, show me lead me… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment