Tuesday, December 14: Luke 12- What do I value?

What do I value? What do I give my attention to? Buried in the middle of this chapter, filled with teachings by Jesus on many topics, was a single sentence that caught my eye. Like an arrow it pierced my morning tiredness and made me think, wonder and wrestle.

Verse 34: For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I looked deeply at the things I treasure. I saw some good things and many selfish things. I wondered about how much attention I give to these things… LOTS! I tried to be honest with myself but that wasn’t easy. I was tempted to fool myself about my priorities…

I went back and examined the verses immediately preceding my morning arrow.  Jesus’ words were all about possessions. "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys (32-33). In light of this ‘Jesus-word’, I recognized that certain possessions and my quality of life is something to which I give considerable attention. This was neither pleasant nor easy to admit.

And so my morning went. I looked back at the next set of verses again.  The verses were about being watchful for Jesus’ coming and being found doing His business. Would that be me or would I be found treasuring my possessions?  And so my morning soul-searching continued.

God poked and prodded at my faith. God showed me some shortcomings and areas that need my attention

Almighty God and Father, this has been an uncomfortable morning with You. Your word challenges me in places that, obviously, are near to my heart. Lord, it seems appropriate for me to pray a prayer of confession like the one we often pray on communion Sundays…

Most Merciful God, I confess that I have sinned against you in thought, word and deed, by what we have done and by what we have left undone. I have not loved you with our whole heart and mind and strength. I have not loved my neighbors as myself. I am truly sorry and humbly repent. For the sake of your son Jesus Christ, have mercy on me and forgive my sins; that I might delight in your will and walk in your ways to the glory of your holy name. Amen

Thank you for forgiving me.  Show me how to live so that my life grows more and more reflective of my relationship with You each and every year. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment