Friday, December 31: Acts 3- Doing what Jesus did.

There is a scripture in John that says Jesus’ disciples will do what He did and even greater things (John 14:12). That is exactly what I see Peter and John doing in today’s reading.

We have no record of Jesus ever giving money to someone begging but there are many occasions where Jesus healed those who needed it.

Peter and John are going about their business, entering the temple for daily prayers, when they come across this beggar. Instead of giving alms, an important Jewish action I might add, they speak healing in Jesus’ name. Here are two disciples doing what Jesus did.

The account continues. A crowd forms as the man makes a bit of a scene jumping around and praising God. As soon as the crowd forms, Peter seizes the moment to clarify the healing –making sure people know it is the power of Jesus not themselves- and then Peter proclaims Jesus, giving an impromptu salvation message.

Two thoughts spring to mind. First, Peter is living out Acts 1:8 and his commission to be a witness to Jesus (recall his understanding of his new job, my devotional from Acts 1 a couple of days ago). Additionally Peter is mimicking his Master Jesus, who often proclaimed the kingdom of God after a miracle.

In this chapter I see Peter and John doing what Jesus did.  That’s what disciples do. Disciples do what their teacher did.

As I write these last two sentences, it is as if the Holy Spirit says to me, “And… And how about you, Bill? You say you are Jesus’ disciple…”

Cut to the heart.

O, God, I am cut to the heart by this encounter with the text and Spirit. Am I weak in my faith or is it that this kind of action is not my calling?

Lord Jesus, I lay myself at Your feet to be used however You would like… This is my prayer, in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment