Tuesday, December 7: Luke 6- Being watched.

As I began to read this chapter, I found it interesting how closely Jesus’ life was scrutinized by the Pharisees. Here He is walking with His disciples and the Pharisees are walking with Him, watching His every move. In fact, the chapter begins with two Sabbath stories where Jesus is being hounded by Pharisees. I get the impression they were watching His every move; one small misstep and they were ready to pounce, “Got ya!”

But it wasn’t only the religious leaders who were watching Jesus. Verses 17-19 reveal how those in need were watching Jesus, hanging on His every word and looking for any opportunity to engage Him or just touch Him. He went down with them and stood on a level place. A large crowd of his disciples was there and a great number of people from all over Judea, from Jerusalem, and from the coast of Tyre and Sidon, who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases. Those troubled by evil spirits were cured, and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all.

I spent a few moments trying to feel what it was like to live in the ‘fishbowl’ that Jesus lived in. Some were trying to catch Him in a lie or mistake and others were desperately trying to get a healing from Him. Still others, hungry for truth, crowded around so they could hear every syllable He uttered. It must have been exhausting to be ‘on’ all the time.

Now I am no Jesus, but my wondering shift to my life (our lives). We, too, are being watched and our faith is being scrutinized by others. Some want to catch us in a misstep… “Some Christian you are,” they are dying to say or at least think. Others watch us to see, if in fact, our life is different because we profess Jesus. Some people might think that because we are ‘religious,’ we might be able to speak a blessing upon them. Whatever their reason, people are watching…

Lord, I surrender my witness to You. I pray that my life is a credible witness to You and that people will see a difference in the way I live and that my living and my words in all situations would be honoring of You. And, Lord, when I do fall short of Your ideal, I not only ask You to forgive me, I pray that my mistakes do not bring reproach on Your wonderful name. To You Father, Son and Holy Spirit, be the honor and glory, now and forever. Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment