Wednesday, December 15: Luke 13- Called to repent

Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them--do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."

The twice repeated phrase “unless you repent” from the lips of Jesus caught my attention. I sometimes pass over the call to repent thinking, “Oh,I did that when I first put my faith in Jesus.” Yes, that is true but as I reflected on this account, I found myself thinking about repentance as an on-going posture of a life submitted to Jesus. I regularly need to repent for actions I have done, thoughts I have entertained and dreams I have dreamt.

I wish my life reflected more of Jesus’ life and less of my former sin-nature but it doesn’t. I am a work in progress. Yes, I have made strides, my life is significantly different and more Jesus-like than when I first repented. Jesus has changed my life! But it seems that the longer and closer I walk with Jesus the more blemishes I see in my life for which I regularly need to repent, seek forgiveness and the strength to break.

Actions, thoughts and dreams flash in my mind.  It is time for me to do some repenting…

Lord Jesus, Almighty Father, Holy Spirit… I come to You with a humble and contrite heart. Forgive me for those areas Your Spirit revealed to me a few moments a go. I turn from them. I repent and ask You to help me gain victory in my life… In and through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

A Second Tidbit from Chapter 13

Verse 16 is the final word on a brief story of a crippled woman’s healing on the Sabbath. Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?" There is no mention of casting out of a demon in this account yet Jesus says her healing freed her from the bounds of Satan. The thought that healing is freeing someone from the bounds of Satan seemed new to me. Hmmm, healing as a defeat of the enemy… I have to think about that some more. And I invite you to do so as well.

One more related thought.  In Luke 4, quoting Is 61, Jesus said He came to set prisoners free, free from the chains and bounds of Satan. More to chew on…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment