Monday, December 20: Luke 17- Increase my faith.

In a moment of stunning honesty the disciples cry, “Increase our faith!”

Their cry interrupted Jesus, who was speaking some strong words to His disciples. Things that cause people to sin are bound to come, but woe to that person through whom they come. It would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around his neck than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin. So watch yourselves. "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him. If he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back to you and says, 'I repent,' forgive him (1-4)

Take a moment with what Jesus has just said. Jesus calls us to look at our lives. Is our living causing another person to become all bound up in sin? Is my (your) example or advice leading people into sin? The penalty is pretty extreme. Pay attention to how you live(!) intones Jesus.

Then He escalates the situation, saying that we must forgive a repentant brother or sister every time they ask, even if they sin against us 7 times a day and repent 7 times a day. (Now I don’t know about you, but I wonder how sincere is their repentance if they sin against me 7 times in a day. This is a hard word!)

It is at this point that the apostles say to Jesus, "Increase our faith!" (5).

To which Jesus gives an interesting reply, If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you (6).

I have some mustard seeds in my office.  They are a tiny dot of a seed, not much larger than the period at the end of this sentence. Obviously, a little faith goes a long way.

Jesus continues with another hard saying.  He teaches us that doing our duty to God is only the bare minimum, we should do much more than mere duty (read verses 7-10 again).

To which I want to reply, “Increase my faith, Lord!”

Listening to Jesus I am so far from even doing my duty, much less living beyond duty into sacrifice… “O, God, increase my faith!”

I am humbled by this morning’s word from Jesus. I join the apostles, recognizing how far short I fall of Jesus’ expectations.

Lord Jesus, increase my faith and beyond that, increase my resolve to live out the faith I have fully. And, Lord, sit with me today as I evaluate my life, so that my manner of living would point others to You and not away from You. Help me to be lavish with my forgiveness to all who sin against me.  Help me to regularly ask for Your forgiveness, repenting of my sins to You and to the sister or brother whom I sinned against. For Your glory, Jesus. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment