Monday, December 27: Luke 23- Prophet, priest and king

Many writers and Bible teachers talk about Jesus fulfilling the roles of prophet, priest and king. Some see in the gifts of the Magi, allusions to those three functions. For some reason, before I even began reading, I was thinking about the gifts of the Magi and Jesus being prophet, priest and king. Surprisingly, as I read the account of his trial and crucifixion, I saw those roles lived out by Jesus.

KING: Jesus agrees with Pilate that he is a king. Verse 3: So Pilate asked Jesus, "Are you the king of the Jews?" "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. Again in verse 11, Herod’s men make fun of Jesus’ kingship. Then Herod and his soldiers ridiculed and mocked him. Dressing him in an elegant robe, they sent him back to Pilate. Jesus is a king, God’s king and he knew it.

PRIEST: A priest stands between people and God.  They speak on behalf of the people to God. One major function of the priest was to bring God’s forgiveness and atonement to the people. In verse 34, we see Jesus declaring forgiveness on those who tortured and killed him. Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." ….

PROPHET: Admittedly this may be a stretch, but prophets were often miracle workers, who displayed God’s power in deed and word. All Herod wanted was to see Jesus, the miracle worker, do a big show. Jesus refused. Verse 8: When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform some miracle. Prophets were not magicians-for-hire, they were the mouthpiece for Almighty God.

I spent time this morning thinking about Jesus, baby in a manger and Savior on the cross… I contemplated Jesus, prophet, priest and king and how each role calls me to respond to Jesus!

Jesus, thank you for standing between me and the Father… brings God’s forgiveness and atonement (priest) and speaking and demonstrating God’s power and might and word (prophet). And, Jesus, bless You for being King., I worship You as King of my life and King of my world.  Lead me and direct me, O Jesus, my King! Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment