Monday, July 16: Hosea 5 - God is watching.

I always enter God’s Word with expectation, wondering where and how God will speak with me. This morning I found myself immediately attracted to verse one. I made a mental note and continued reading. The final verse also interested me.

Verse 1: Hear this, you priests! Pay attention, you Israelites! Listen, O royal house! This judgment is against you: You have been a snare at Mizpah, a net spread out on Tabor. God calls to the priests…the religious leaders. God calls to the people. God calls to the royalty… the political leaders. I found myself thinking about this.

Sometimes God singles out the religious leaders or the political leaders but I cannot recall a time when God so specifically speaks to leaders and people together.

We all bear responsibility, leaders for leading properly and people for living appropriately. And when we don’t, God may call us out, too. I ran this thought through the differing hats I wear. As a religious leader, am I leading properly, leading people toward faithfulness to God? Am I helping them grow in faith?

You may not be a religious leader, but you could ask similar questions of yourself with regard to children you may have, or a Sunday school you teach, or a friend you mentor.

Next I spent some time thinking about my personal life. Am I living appropriately? Do I live my everyday in a manner that pleases my Lord? Immediately I recalled doing a chore yesterday I don’t like to do. I found myself growing frustrated even angry. It was not a stellar moment. No one else was present to see my darker side… no one, that is, except God.

At this point the chapter’s final verse, 15, cued back up in my thoughts. Then I will go back to my place until they admit their guilt.… God was angry with Israel. He expressed His anger and would now wait for their response, for them to admit their guilt.

The Spirit’s nudge came, “Bill, will you admit your guilt to me?.”

Clearly my time for prayer had arrived.

Lord, I am in dire need of You. I messed up yesterday and do every day. My manner of living was not. and often is not. pleasing to You. Sometimes I put on false airs and even fool myself. Forgive me, Lord. I repent and am truly sorry for my sin which is ever before me. Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean, wash me and I will be whiter then snow. Then I will praise You and my lips will be loosed to praise You.

Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment