Thursday, July 12: Hosea 2 - Adultery as a picture.

Hosea continues to use adultery as a word picture for Israel’s unfaithfulness to the Lord.

The picture pains me. I have sat too many times with a spouse in deep pain because of an unfaithful spouse. That pain runs straight to the heart, it pierces like no other. In addition to the expected hurts of rejection, lying, and cheap words, there is a dirtiness, a wondering, during what should be the most intimate times, will he/she do it again? Can I really trust? Am I being used… again?

This is the picture God uses to convey what Israel has done.

And yet despite the gravity of the situation and Israel’s utter lack of faithfulness, repeatedly craving after other lovers, God closes the chapter with: "In that day I will respond," declares the LORD-- "I will respond to the skies, and they will respond to the earth; and the earth will respond to the grain, the new wine and oil, and they will respond to Jezreel. I will plant her for myself in the land; I will show my love to the one I called 'Not my loved one.' I will say to those called 'Not my people,' 'You are my people'; and they will say, 'You are my God.'"

I found myself meditating on the incredible depth of love it takes to say and do this…

God’s love for His people, God’s love for you and me, His people, is immense. I soaked in the love of God this morning. I soaked some more in thoughts of God’s love for me…

Lord, I do not deserve Your love anymore than Israel. I fall short, I sin, I turn from You. And yet You keep on loving. You keep on caring and forgiving.

I am overwhelmed by Your love…

Oh, Lord, pour out Your Holy Spirit that I may grow into Your love and that I will grow stronger in loving You with my whole heart and mind and soul and strength…

Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment