Monday, July 23: Hosea 11 - A glimmer of hope.

 

God is upset with Israel. They have pursued other gods. Like a prostitute looking for the next trick, Israel was constantly looking for another god, another king, another ‘lover.’ The Lord calls them home but they never come, so the time for discipline and punishment has come.

Yet even in His justified anger, God holds out an olive branch, the compassion of His heart bursts forth… How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? … My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. I will not carry out my fierce anger, nor will I turn and devastate Ephraim. For I am God, and not man-- the Holy One among you. … (8-9).

Compassion. God has compassion for Israel.

As I meditate on God’s compassion, I realize that I have been the recipient of God’s compassion more times than I could ever number. My mind scrolls through instances of God’s compassion in my life. My heart grows lighter with each remembrance.

God has been there. God is there. His love has washed over me time and again.

Before you put down this reading, I believe the Spirit is inviting you to recall and remember times of God’s compassion in your life. See if your heart doesn’t grow lighter with each remembrance!

Oh, God, You have been there for me. Your compassion has been great, Your love amazing. I might not even be alive were it not for Your compassion and love. Left to myself, I would likely have self-destructed by now. Thank You, bless You. Praise be to You Lord God, my God. Praise be to You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment