Monday, July 30: 1Timothy 2 - Pray for authorities.

We are in the midst of the political campaign season and since it is a Presidential election year it is all the worse. To me our political election process has grown into an ugly cancerous scar on the face of our nation. You might disagree. The process and mudslinging and pandering to voting blocks and special interests…uugghh, I cannot take it. Frankly, I listen to as little of it as possible.

Fall out from this is that I have a growing distain for politicians. I feel like they will say anything to get elected.

Into this personal backdrop comes verses 1 and 2. I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. Pray for national leaders (?)… I don’t even want to listen to them (either party mind you).

Immediately as these thoughts were erupting and being typed, I felt the pressure to repent. My attitude and distain has caused me to dismiss them as people and all of us are ‘mixed bags’ when it comes to motives and thoughts and priorities. Political leaders, like any person, need people praying for them.

I read on, This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth (3-4). Part of the motivation to pray for authorities is that life will be peaceful and quiet so that the gospel can go forth and people saved!

I have never thought of it that way.

Pray for our political leaders so that life is even keeled and sharing the gospel will prosper. Wow, that is a very different approach to prayer for those in authority than I have previously considered…

Keep working on me, God. Keep challenging me with Your Word. Keep refining my thinking and my living and acting.

God, I pray that the men and women in office from local to national offices would govern well and life would be peaceful and stable. In that peace and stability Lord, multiply opportunities to share Jesus, so that true peace and security can enter people’s lives. I pray through Jesus, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment