Thursday, January 12: Joshua 6-Tis a strange battle.

As I began reading and listening to God’s strange orders, immediately this verse came to mind. ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the LORD Almighty (Zechariah 4:6).

God’s plans and ways are not our plans and ways. But God’s ways open up the storehouse of God’s power.

I imagine that the Israelite fighting men felt quite strange marching around Jericho silently for a week. I imagine that seasoned fighting men were chomping at the bit to attack. And when that time came there would be no storming the gate… they were told the wall would simply fall down. I’m sure there was more than one, “Yeah, right!”

Also, as spiritual as it was to march silently for 7 days, when the fighting broke out, each soldier had to be his fearsome self and kill all the people of Jericho. Following the Spirit of God and leaning on His power does not mean that people become redundant. Jonah had to preach after his ‘whale of a ship ride’. Daniel had to witness to and serve the king before and after spending his night in the lions’ den.  Paul continued to preach and teach in spite of the beatings and shipwreck (read 2Corinthians 13).

Living by the Spirit opens up God’s power but we still have to act, think and do what it is that God would have us do.

Obedience is the door to godly living and the power of the Spirit blazing through us…

Hmmm think about this. I will

Lord, OBEDIENCE… teach me OBEDIENCE. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment