Tuesday, March 7: 2Peter 3- Scoffers.

There are many challenges for people who are trying to live faithfully. Yesterday we read about false voices that will try to lead faithful Christ followers astray. Today Peter warns about scoffers, people who don’t believe, will ridicule and make fun of Christ followers in the hopes of embarrassing us into unbelief.

Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? … (3-4).

Embarrassment is a powerful de-motivator. It can suck the life out of us. I know I have been there. I have felt the sting of intentional embarrassing comments about my faith. And sadly I have, at times, backed down or felt so insecure and belittled that I didn’t continue to witness in order to be a light for Christ in that moment.

Peter’s concern, I believe, is not so much momentary backing down –we all stumble and fall –as it is people who abandon their faith in Jesus all together because scoffing causes them to doubt and give up.

By God’s grace I have never given up the faith, but I still feel the sting of letting ridicule defeat me in a particular moment. Being scoffed at hurts. And as our world grows more secular the non-religious of the world will, with increasing ferocity, put down any and all religion. Christianity, as a dominant world religion and one committed to humility and non-retaliation, will likely face the brunt of the scoffers’ blows.

So I am finding Peter’s words powerful and convicting in light of world changes occurring. These ‘last days’ will present many faith challenges for those of us seeking to follow Jesus.

Oh Lord, give me strength to endure for You. Oh, Lord, help me to receive with more vigor your challenge to make every effort (1:5) in building and growing my faith. I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment