Saturday, April 1: Luke 22- How quickly things can turn.

Jesus was teaching, crowds were listening, then turn the page and the Passover is celebrated and Jesus is arrested and tried. Just like that things can change.

And things can change within us just like that as well…

During the Passover meal Jesus’ explanation about the cup being poured out for them is barely off His lips when He announces that someone at the table will betray Him. At that the disciples began to question among themselves which of them it might be who would do this (23). You can almost hear the conversation switch as a chorus of “not me” breaks out among the twelve. How quickly the situation can turn…

But the disciples aren’t done. Their chorus of “not me’s” flips on its head into a braggadocios display of who is the best among them. So heated became the bragging that Luke calls it a dispute. A dispute also arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest (24).

These soon-to-be pillars of the faith dissolve into a petty argument about who is the greatest. What a disappointing moment.

How quickly we can turn from the important to the inane.

How quickly we can go from the sacred to the secular.

How quickly we can dissolve into selfishness to protect self or honor or …

Sadly, in the disciples I see myself and how quickly I can devolve into pettiness!

Oh, God, teach me how to control my sin-filled nature. Give me victory over selfishness and pride, over needing to be best and destroying others –in thought, word or deed –in order to ‘maintain’ my reputation.

Oh, God, make me to be more like the disciples post-Pentecost rather than pre-Crucifixion. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment