Friday, February 19: Judges 17-How low can you go?

There is a discount furniture store in my area that is always advertising, Bob’s Discount Furniture. The ads are a little quirky and usually feature Bob or his wife. In one ad his wife and another woman are singing a jingle, “How low can you go? How low can you go?,” as the screen shows Bob slashing prices on some furniture. The ad will not win any awards but I guess it is memorable.

The jingle came to mind, but not in a good way, as I read this chapter. “How low can you go?” In other words, how far will Israel stoop from the ways of God???

Verse 3 blares with the fallen-ness of Israel, When he returned the eleven hundred shekels of silver to his mother, she said, "I solemnly consecrate my silver to the LORD for my son to make a carved image and a cast idol. I will give it back to you." This mother consecrates money to the Lord to do something that God expressly forbids in the 10 Commandments!

"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. "You shall have no other gods before me. "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, … (Deut5:6-9)

We are not talking about breaking one of the more obscure rules of the faith, this mother is expressly breaking one of the 10 Commandments! And she thinks she is honoring God by doing it!!! How low can it go???

Verse 6 describes the state of affairs throughout the Land, In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as he saw fit. No bearings, no foundation, no word of God to provide a mooring. People simply did as they saw fit!?! How low can it go?

The Spirit’s voice chimed in at this point, “Bill, this is what happens when people, even well meaning people, lose the anchor of My word.” This mother knew the name of the Lord and probably did want to honor God for returning the money. Unfortunately, she was completely misguided; she was off the mark by a mile. Actions count, behavior matters, how we live and what we do is significant. God’s word and His word alone, not our thoughts or ideas about God, will lead us to truth and right living before God.

O, Lord, keep me in Your word. Lord, let Your word be my anchor and the guide for my life. Lord, intensions aren’t enough, I need the truth of Your word to guide and direct me. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment