Wednesday, February 3 Judges 3- The ways of God are deeper than we know

As I read this chapter I had two distinct devotional encounters with the Lord. As I contemplated the first 4 verses I marveled at God’s ways. Take a moment and read them again.

These are the nations the LORD left to test all those Israelites who had not experienced any of the wars in Canaan (he did this only to teach warfare to the descendants of the Israelites who had not had previous battle experience) …. They were left to test the Israelites to see whether they would obey the LORD's commands, which he had given their forefathers through Moses.

Reading through Joshua and now beginning Judges, I wondered why God didn’t finish the job and destroy all the peoples of the land. Why leave enemies in Israel’s midst? Now I know. God had a plan all along. And in Israel’s case it was for their good. God wanted to teach the men warfare, something God knew would be essential for Israel to survive in the world. Secondly, God was testing their faithfulness. Would Israel follow Him or run after foreign gods?

Isaiah 55:8-9 flashed through my thoughts: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Yes, God’s ways are higher and deeper than I will ever know. God had a good reason to leave some enemies in the land.

More times than I can remember I have wondered why God allowed something. Generally these wonderings revolve around something I don’t like or something that God asks me to do that is hard. Yet, what I have learned over the years and what this text shows me is, that God knows what He is doing and God has reasons for what He does. Sometimes God has multiple reasons for what He does. What I need to do is learn to trust God and to be faithful in my living…

O, God, nothing gets past You. You have a sovereign plan. Your ways are right. You have Your reasons, reasons and ways that are higher than I can ever understand. Give to me a trusting, following heart… this I pray in my Savior Jesus’ name. Amen

 

PS, so I don’t leave you hanging, my second devotional-thought was the sad refrain of verses 5-31. Israel did evil and eventually, after crying out, God saves them. I have read Judges enough to know that theme will emerge and re-emerge throughout the book. In all likelihood God will lead me to write some thoughts on that before the book is through.

There is always much more in God’s word than I can write about and if you see something different than what I see, trust the Spirit is speaking to you and follow Him into His appointed devotional time for that day…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment