Tuesday, February 9: Judges 8- A disappointing conclusion. lessons learned

 

 

Gideon’s tremendous victories crash and burn because of one poor decision. After the final victory the people want to make Gideon king, he replies "I will not rule over you, nor will my son rule over you. The LORD will rule over you." And he said, "I do have one request, that each of you give me an earring from your share of the plunder." … "We'll be glad to give them." So they spread out a garment, and each man threw a ring from his plunder onto it. The weight of the gold rings he asked for came to seventeen hundred shekels [~$750,000 US in today’s market], … Gideon made the gold into an ephod, which he placed in Ophrah, his town. All Israel prostituted themselves by worshiping it there, and it became a snare to Gideon and his family (24-27).

An ephod was a religious vestment worn by priests and the like. Gideon turned the gold into a symbol of religious authority, rank and privilege. Gideon’s mistake wasn’t asking for a gift. Payment for leading the troops is not wrong… but turning the gold into religious dominance or authority was. Now we have the problem, the ephod became an idol, a snare for Gideon, his family and Israel.

I wondered, “How does something like this happen?” I know I am moving beyond what the text says, but sanctified imagination in often part of devotions.

Did Gideon act hastily? Maybe he was still exhausted from the battle and depleted physically, emotionally and spiritually… I am not excusing him. But I know that I make poor decisions when I am emotionally, physically and spiritually depleted. Maybe that is God’s warning for me today?

I thought too, how easy it is to think success and prowess in one arena automatically translates into others. Being a successful general does not qualify Gideon for religious leadership. Knowing our limitations is important, because when we venture into arenas in which we are not gifted problems happen…

Again I wondered did his ego and pride prompt this foolish move?

The more I thought the more I realized that I have to guard myself, all of these possible reasons are potential points of personal struggle. Guarding myself, keeping close to the Lord. Seeking spiritual, physical and emotional renewal regularly is an important safety feature for life (no wonder God designed a weekly Sabbath). Gideon had no check or balance in his life and his impulsive act resulted in huge damage.

Lord Jesus, I am as vulnerable as Gideon. Pride lurks in hidden place of my life. I am particularly vulnerable when tired, stressed, and following a spiritual/emotional/physical high (or low, for that matter). Help me Jesus to keep these pockets of sin in check that I might live for You and finish well. Something Gideon didn’t do. Help me to be more like Joshua … who I studied a few weeks ago. I love You Jesus and I need Your help and the abiding presence of Your Holy Spirit to keep on faithfully living for You.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment