Monday, February 8: Judges 7- Egos to the back of the bus.

I can’t imagine that present- day Israeli military studies Gideon’s battle for its advanced tactical maneuvers! From the outset God has a greater goal than winning a military battle. Be honest, what military leader would give up his numerical advantage and then go into battle with musical instruments and clay pots rather than weapons? But that’s what God directed Gideon to do.

Verse 2 reveals God’s intentions: The LORD said to Gideon, "You have too many men for me to deliver Midian into their hands. In order that Israel may not boast against me that her own strength has saved her. My eye caught a couple of keys.

·       Too many men for me to deliver: The battle was never about Israel’s strength, but rather God’s deliverance. God was going to do His thing, He would do the delivering.

·       Israel may not boast against me that her own strength has saved her: No boasting allowed for Israel or Gideon.
   I find it interesting that boasting by Israel is linked to being against God… ouch that’s a double whammy. I never realized that when I boast or take the credit for something God did that I am opposing or acting against God!

As my reading and these thoughts sift in my soul, I am realizing that following God requires me (us) to set ego aside and adopt the posture of humility. Typing the word ‘humility’ fires off some other biblical linkages. Moses, probably the greatest leader in the scriptures was known as the most humble man on the face of the earth (Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth. Nu 12:3). David regularly worshiped and praised God. His psalms are filled with boasting in God. Peter, Paul the list goes on.

God is reminding me through this chapter to keep my ego in check and to honor Him in all I do and to give Him praise when successes come.

Lord I never realized that when I boast and take credit for things that You have done I am against You. That is a frightening thought… forgive me Lord for I am certain that I have done just that!

And now O Lord, help me to learn and grow… O Lord, may my life boast only in You… Never, ever, in me. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment