Wednesday, February 10: Judges 9- Sad, sad days.

Senseless murders, scheming for power, despicable acts, lies and cheating, these were ugly days. What happened? What changed?

It seems people were left to themselves. It has been many chapters since we witnessed God’s word restraining, correcting and or directing peoples’ lives. There have been a few judges who heard and followed God, but the prominence and place of the word preserved and written is no where to be seen.

“Left to ourselves,” I thought, “humanity spirals down. No checks, no balances, corruption grows and sin abounds.” Every society has laws, why? Because the sin that is within all of us needs to be held in check by some force. A week or so ago we read about seeds of disobedience being planted. Well the roots have grown strong and the fruit of disobedience was clearly visible in today’s Bible chapter.

Each week in worship we set aside a few moments to recognize our own personal sin. There are some weeks when I am planning the service that I think, “O I don’t want to keep pounding people (and myself) with our sinfulness. I want to build them (me) up.” Then when I read chapters like today and realize how often God’s word reminds me of just how vulnerable I am to sin, I come back to my senses and realize I (we) have to regularly look at my true sin-filled self. I don’t like doing this, but it is one of the few habits that helps restrain sin in my life. Left to myself I could (would) be an Abimelech. Now that is a frightening thought… God help me!

Lord God, that is exactly what I must pray. Help me. God my Father help me. Jesus help me. Holy Spirit help me. Expose to me my sin. Ugh I don’t want to pray this, I don’t want to see the ugliness and sinfulness of which I am capable… but Lord it isn’t healthy for me to trick myself into believing that I am better than I truly am. The better I see myself, the clearer my need for You becomes. And Lord God it is to You that I want to run. You are the only place of safety. Your word is my only true source of correction.

Lord God I also lay myself before You, asking that You purify my heart. Clean up my sin, wash me whiter than snow, so that I may enjoy intimate connection with You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment