Thursday, February 18: Judges 16-Please.

Sampson is a tragic figure a man of immense strength and equally immense weaknesses. Sadly, Sampson never grew more mature. He let his weaknesses ruin his life.

Still with the Lord, the door is always open for a new chance. No one strays beyond the reach of the Lord.

In the last moments of his life, Sampson calls out to the Lord, one last time, "O Sovereign LORD, remember me. O God, please strengthen me just once more, and let me with one blow get revenge on the Philistines for my two eyes" (28). Listening to that prayer I heard something I hadn’t heard in Sampson’s story before. The word ‘please.’ This is the first time Sampson doesn’t demand from God or from his parents. In all the other exchanges, Sampson demands or cries out (my sense is that he would through a tantrum, for example 15:18) but not so in this verse. In 28 he seems humbled and contrite; something clearly has changed within him.

God answers, God comes to his side, and God gives Sampson his greatest victory. I am prone to think that God was always there but Sampson was too proud to call out until the end.

Lord, we teach our children to say ‘please’ and ‘thank you.’ They can be mere words or they can reflect the position of the heart. Help me find and live in a place of humility before You. Help me to come to You with ‘please’ on my lips and gratitude and trust in my heart that You will always be there when I call.  In Jesus name… amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment