Thursday, February 4: Judges 4- Against insurmountable odds God wins

I focused on the military odds: one iron chariot against 10 foot-soldiers. Put your money on the chariots. In modern warfare that would be something like 1 loaded-armored Humvee (with its supporting troops) against 10 foot-solders. Or maybe 1 tank against 10 foot soldiers armed only for hand to hand combat. Israel is facing a stronger mechanized and armored foe. This is a David vs. Goliath battle. Again, David wins because the Lord is on his side.

The telling of this story emphasizes the Lord’s victory. Deborah said to Barak, "Go! This is the day the LORD has given Sisera into your hands. Has not the LORD gone ahead of you?" So Barak went down Mount Tabor, followed by ten thousand men. At Barak's advance, the LORD routed Sisera and all his chariots and army by the sword, …

Who won the battle? The LORD! Yes, God employed the army of Israel and Deborah with Barak as leaders but the LORD won the victory. Israel understood this, Deborah and Barak understood this… No LORD leading, no victory.

This is a great reminder for me. No matter what the odds seem like from my perspective, when the LORD is leading the initiative, He wins!

Jesus, Deborah is blessed with faith to see Your hand at work. She worries not about the odds, she listens and obeys. Lord, her role is my role, is our role. First listen, listen for what the Lord is doing, then follow, do what the Lord would have you do.

Jesus, this is much easier to put in a prayer than my life. I have breakdowns in both areas. Sometimes I fail to listen or to listen well. I charge ahead before You send or I miss opportunities when I don’t listen well. And then there are times I listen but fail to act. As I sit this morning, Lord, I ask for Your forgiveness for the times I have missed Your leading. I also ask for renewed zeal to listen for the voice of Your Spirit and fortitude to obey. Lord, help me to live believing the proverb, The Lord + One person = victory. In Jesus’ name I live and pray and find my being… amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment