Monday, February 15: Judges 13-

Many of us know the basic story of Sampson. Today’s chapter is the ‘back story’ about his parents, ordinary people touched by an encounter with the Lord God Almighty.

The ‘back story’ begins with the all too familiar refrain of Israel living evilly. Again they forsake the Lord and stray after false gods which results in doing evil. 40 years of doing evil, that’s more than a generation of doing evil. Often overlooked in this ‘back story’ is the fact that despite the culture around them, Manoah and his wife were able to cling to the hope of the Lord’s salvation. Somehow they were able to say ‘NO’ to the influences of their anti-Yahweh culture. Somehow they were able to resist the ‘everyone is doing it’ living of the people around them. Somehow they were able to recognize God when He came to them with a job to do.

Even as I wrote this, God-connections to my life began to flow:

“Bill, will you cling to Me as your hope for salvation and the world’s hope for salvation. Will you cling to me?”

“Bill, will you say ‘NO’ to the against-God influences of your culture. Will you say No?”

“Bill, will you resist what everyone else is doing and instead, live to please Me. Will you?

“Bill, are you listening for my voice, I have some jobs for you to do. Are you listening?”

O God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I speak out loud my devotion to You. Yes, I will cling, Yes, I will say ‘no’ to God-less influences. Yes, I will resist. Yes, I will listen for Your voice, Your leading, Your will!  Yes, God, Yes! In Jesus’ name, amen.

 

 

Interesting Tidbit

In verse 18, as the angel of the Lord (who is later revealed to be the Lord) speaks with Manoah, the angel replies read: "Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding."

The word for ‘beyond understanding’ or ‘beyond comprehension’ is sometimes translated ‘wonderful.’ The same root word is used in Isaiah 9:6. You know that verse:

For to us a child is born,

to us a son is given,

and the government will be on his shoulders.

And he will be called Wonderful Counselor,

Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

How true! Jesus, the child who was born, is beyond comprehension!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment