Friday, March 12: John 10- facts are in and the choice is yours. Is Jesus God?

Friday, March 12: John 10- facts are in and the choice is yours… Is Jesus God?

We live in an age when people attempt to re-write history. They write and say things about people that cannot be verified by the facts of the time. Some people say Jesus never claimed to be God that, like us, he was merely flesh and blood. Well, it is difficult to say that and read this chapter. I suppose one could re-write this chapter, too, but taking it at face value is pretty convincing.

Let’s look at Jesus’ contemporaries, those He talked with and lived around. The Jewish leaders certainly understood that Jesus was equating himself with God.

Historical point: the Jews believe in only one God, the Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, the One who orchestrated their deliverance from Egypt, etc. Jews did not have some multi-level understanding of God like the Romans or Greeks. NO, for Jews there was one all-supreme, all-knowing God. Thus to equate oneself with God was to equate oneself with the all-supreme, all-knowing God of the universe, Yahweh.

I place in evidence verse 33 (bold mine): "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God." [note, in the Greek the ‘you’ here is singular. The Jewish leaders are speaking directly and personally with Jesus. This is note some broad statement about people, but a direct statement to Jesus about what he was doing.]

Evidence #2, Jesus, verses 30 & 37-38 (bold mine): I and the Father are one. … Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.

So both Jesus and his contemporaries believed He was saying He is God.

The choice now is yours and mine. We can choose to believe Jesus is God or not. Choose ‘no’ and move on. Choose another religion to follow or follow no religion. Choose ‘yes’, however, and there are considerable life implications. If Jesus is God then His words and scripture are true and to be followed.

John tells us in verse 42 that place many believed in Jesus. Do you? Do you believe Jesus is God?

O, Jesus, I believe… I will follow, I will listen, I will do and live and act as You direct. Amen

 

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Bill Gestal

    By both studying Jesus' rebuttal of the Jewish leaders' claim and study Jesus' usage of Psalm 82;
    you will see that Jesus was NOT equating himself with Almighty GOD at all!

    For more info,
    I recommend this video:
    The Human Jesus

    Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you in your quest for truth.
    The video addresses John 10.33ff.

    Yours In Messiah
    Adam Pastor

    ReplyDelete