Wednesday, March 17: John 14-the "O" word. obedience

There it was staring at me with a glaze that would not let go… If you love me, you will obey what I command (15). Love for Jesus results in obedience. Mathematically I might write it Love = Obedience.

When I am speaking about Jesus, to say I love Him is to say I will obey Him. It is that simple… at least in print it is simple. Flipping the statement around I can say Obedience = Love. Or in words, my obedience to Jesus demonstrates my love for Jesus.

In a world where love is confused with emotions or some fickle feeling/desire that wells up without effort from within, Jesus says, ‘Not so fast!’  Jesus says, If you love me, you will obey what I command.

God’s penetrating gaze for me this morning is obvious. “Bill, do you love Me? Hold your answer, Bill.  First examine your living.  Are you obeying Me? There is your true answer to My first question.”

O, Lord God, Father, Jesus, Spirit I do love You, but I know there are areas of disobedience. Clearly my love for You is imperfect at best. Thank You for Your constant gift of grace, mercy and forgiveness.  Thank You.

Lord, I need the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, to help me and to teach and remind me of all the things (26) Jesus taught so that I can obey, so that I can truly love You… amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment