Saturday, March 13: John 11-

Not surprisingly the amazing story of Lazarus, miraculously being called back to life by Jesus after being dead and in the tomb 4 days, is a polarizing moment for people. Many believe in Jesus. Others believe He is a problem to be eliminated. I found myself contemplating the Jewish leaders’ response to Jesus: many of the Jews who … had seen what Jesus did, put their faith in him. But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done. Then the chief priests and the Pharisees called a meeting of the Sanhedrin. "What are we accomplishing?" they asked. "Here is this man performing many miraculous signs. If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and then the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation" (45-48).

The first thing I wondered was whether their assumptions about what would happen were true. I mean if Jesus continued healing people, would that mean the Romans would come crush Israel and take away the nation? I just don’t see how Jesus’ miraculous signs necessarily mean the Romans would invade? It seems to me that the Jewish leaders were being strangled by possibilities that were beyond prediction.

I wondered how many people, like these Jewish leaders, get nervous about how people will react to belief in Jesus?  Jesus also taught to turn the other cheek. Maybe the Romans would have embraced the peaceful rule of people living out the teachings of Jesus?

Next I wondered how many people, when they hear the call of Jesus, get so nervous about what might happen to them if they put their faith in Jesus?

I pushed my wondering envelope and contemplated people who fear what Jesus might ask of them if they believe. They reject Jesus and refuse to put their trust in Him because of what He might, I emphasize MIGHT, ask of them?

The Jewish leaders assumptions, nervousness about others reactions, and possible fear of what Jesus might require, mushroomed into disbelief, even hatred. What happened to them can happen to others…

What do you think about Jesus? What assumptions do you have? Are they fair or exaggerated?

What nervousness do you carry about what others will think of you or might do to you if you were to believe in Jesus?

Are you fearful of what Jesus might ask of you and more to the point, is this keeping you from believing in Him?

My only response to this is to say that I do believe in Jesus and I have found that my worse fears never materialized. I manufactured them in my heart and mind and I am so glad that I did not allow them to keep me from belief in Jesus…

Jesus, today I pray for folks who have yet to put their faith in You. Lord, I pray that You help them overcome fear, nervousness and ‘what ifs.’ And I ask You, Lord, to help me be a comfort to and an encouragement for friends wrestling with faith in You. Lord, may I help them cross from fear to faith, from nervousness to belief, from ‘what if’ to ‘I believe.” I pray this in Your name Jesus, asking for Your Holy Spirit’s empowerment to fulfill this prayer. Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment