Monday, March 15: John 12-my easy faith...

   Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not confess their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved praise from men more than praise from God (42-43).
   It is so easy for me to become smug and think these Jewish leaders are wimps. I mean, really, hiding their faith from Pharisees; they should stand up and stand out for Jesus. Like I have ever honestly had to do that when real consequences were on the line! I'm one to talk.
   While in Nigeria, I visited a medical ministry that has an incredible impact among Muslim women, with many of these women coming to faith in Jesus. What do they do now? Speak out for Jesus and possibly be killed or be thrown out on to the streets with their children and no hope of provision? What do they do? Missionaries counsel some (not all situations are the same) that it is okay to be a quiet believer. I was shaken the first time I heard that... self-righteous might be a better word for my smugness.
   Regarding these Jewish leaders and women, I choose to step back and say I am not in their shoes. Maybe the time isn't right to speak up about faith in Jesus.  I think of house churches in China or other closed parts of the world where people worship in constant fear of reprisal and persecution. Who am I to judge them?  God turned the tables on me as I pondered all this. God began poking me, "So Bill, where have you (do you) put your faith on the line? Are you completely open and honest about your faith in Jesus when you sense even the mildest threat? You know, the kind of threat that might result in a disparaging look or worse a cutting comment?"
   Where the Lord took me for the next moments was to my level of commitment to be transparent before others about my faith in Jesus and the practice of my faith in Jesus. 
   O, Lord, I have many areas in which to grow. Many. All I dare muster this morning is a cry for help. Help me, Lord, to grow to be the man of faith You want and desire me to be. Stretch me or break me, whatever You know would be best for me, to be who You want me to be. Encourage me or rebuke me, whatever You know will best motivate me to become who You want me to be. Pour Your Holy Spirit upon me because I know it is only by the Spirit that I can be who You desire me to be... in Jesus' name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment