Saturday, March 20: John 17-Jesus prays for me (and you).

   John gives us a tremendous gift including this prayer in His gospel. Given the timing from 18:1 this prayer occurred before Jesus and the disciples crossed the Kidron Valley to go to the Garden of Gethsemane.  What an amazing gift… Jesus prayed for me (and all believers). Jesus prays about himself, he prays for his disciples who are with him, and then he prays for believers down through the corridors of time. That's you and me!!!

 

   Today as I read this, I am a bit off kilter. My day began with an early meeting and I have been running ever since, one meeting to the next, into the NYC for another meeting and so on... Just one of those days. I finally get home and grab some quiet time, I read how Jesus prayed for me and more than that He told me what He has prayed for me. He let me (us) listen in on His prayer for us.

 

   As I muse, my last sentence hit me. It is as if Jesus came and stood by me, put his arm around me and spoke His prayer to the Father into my ear so that I could listen in. I went back to the prayer and put my name into the prayer, that made Jesus’ prayer even more powerful:

 

   I pray also for Bill, that he may be one with all believers, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May he also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given him and all believers the glory that you gave me, that Bill and all believers may be one as we are one: I in him and you in me. May Bill and all believers  be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. "Father, I want Bill to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

   "Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and Bill knows that you have sent me. I have made you known to him, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in Bill and that I myself may be in him." (personalization in blue)

 

   O God I am so blessed to be your Son. O Jesus I am so blessed that you have saved me and that you prayed for and pray for me. O Holy Spirit I am so blessed that you are God with me… praise be to my God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment