Thursday, March 25: John 21-In the end. grace.

Have you ever hurt someone you care for and love? Significantly hurt them? I don’t think I am alone in this, but I find crossing the divide, caused by my hurt, to be ‘oh so difficult’. Reestablishing a link so the broken relationship can be mended and restored is huge, at least for me. Life’s inertia, for me, is to remain disconnected, to avoid rather than speak, and so forth. Oh I feel the ache and it is not good.

Maybe this life-pattern of mine is what provided the connection, but I could ‘feel’ the tension between Peter and Jesus. The last direct interpersonal connection between Peter and Jesus was Peter’s triple denial of knowing Jesus. We are told in multiple gospels that Peter wept bitterly after the third denial. We know when we have failed someone we love.

Peter and Jesus saw each other in the upper room when Jesus said “Peace be with you” (20:19). But there is no record that they spoke to each other. Maybe Peter avoided direct contact with Jesus because of his guilt. If Peter were me, I would have longed to be reconnected but afraid to reconnect.

Here in chapter 21, Jesus makes contact; Jesus approaches and speaks. I could feel my blood pressure lowering. The question may come across strong, but I imagined how I would feel in the moment.  For me, the fact that Jesus approached me and spoke to me would speakvolumes. Jesus crossed the divide, Jesus sought me out, Jesus made the first move of reconciliation. O, my heart leapt! Jesus came with grace and love. Jesus said in effect, “No longer will I allow the awkwardness and pain of Peter’s denial mar our relationship. I love him too much. I will make the first contact.”

I realize much of this scenario comes filtered through my life. Still this morning I marvel how often that’s the way it is with Jesus. I screw up and Jesus crosses the divide I caused and reconnects, offering me forgiveness and grace and love.

Lord Jesus, thank You for reconnecting with Peter on the shore of the lake and thank You for doing the same for me countless times. Yes, Lord Jesus, I, too, love You… I do, yes I do… amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment