Wednesday, March 10: John 8-Jesus, "I am the light.

John 7:53-8:11

You probably notice at note of some sort about John 7:53-8:11 saying that the earliest manuscripts do not include these verses. This is not some modern attempt to remove verses from the Bible. Instead it is reasoned verifiable statement that explains that the earliest Matthew documents do not have these verses. Even though I love this account of the woman caught in adultery, for my devotional purposes, I decided before I began reading that I would listen for God’s direction for me today in the account that I know has always been in the Scripture, i.e. verses 12 forward.

What an incredible exchange between Jesus and the religious leaders. Jesus minced no words. He came straight at them claiming to have God’s truth and also saying that they did not! No wonder they hated Him.

Jesus’ word-picture in verse 12 took me back to an adventure in Carlsbad Caverns. One vacation my family and I camped there. On a ranger led hike we were taken down into the caves and invited to sit down. At which point the ranger hit a switch and turned off all the artificial lights. It was blacker than black. There was not one speck of light, not even the glow from iridescent watches. It was the first, and I think only time, I have been in total darkness. I recall lifting my hand in front of my face. I could see nothing as I waved it. I brought it closer and closer until it touched my nose. I couldn’t see any hint of my hand, it was so dark and the darkness swallowed up everything. Every feature, every person of the room disappeared at the flick of that switch.

Against the power and backdrop of that memory, Jesus’ words, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life" spoke volumes.

After we adjusted to the total blackness and the children of the group relaxed- the darkness was unnerving for all of us, not just the children, -the ranger lit a small flashlight. I thought the sun rose, it seemed so bright. That tiny bulb brought to life stalagmites jutting from the floor and stalactites dangling from the ceiling. Just the smallest of light in a world of darkness is amazing!

Jesus provides for us, His followers, light to navigate our dark world. We need not fear the pits and traps of life if we stay close to Jesus… ‘The Light’.

It would not have been difficult to venture out beyond the range of light from the ranger’s single led bulb, but while we were near we could move safely through the cavern.

While we are close to Jesus we need not fear.  Venture too far from the Savior and the darkness of the world thickens and engulfs.

The Spirit whispered, “Bill, ponder all this for a while… ponder and meditate your closeness to Jesus.”

Lord, tether me close to You, for when I am close, then I am safe… amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment