Tuesday, March 23: John 19-

It was not one particular verse, but the whole which engulfed me today. Jesus did what God the Father had for Him to do. No balking, no hesitation, no pity-party. Jesus gave everything; His breath, His life, His love.

Enduring one of the cruelest deaths humans have devised, Jesus maintained the best of humanity… compassion for others. From the cross, Jesus spies his mother and realizes she is now alone with no one to care for her.  He initiates, ‘John take care of my mom, consider her from today forward as if she is your mom’. There was no welfare, no Social Security survivor benefits.  A woman without a family was doomed to a life of poverty unless she was independently wealthy, which certainly was not the case with Mary. Staggering in pain, Jesus delivers compassion.

Then comes 3 simple words, “It is finished.” What Jesus was incarnated to do was completed. He died so I could live. He died so all who believe in Him could live. The Son of God, God who lived among us, died so we could live. Staggering, amazing… the heart of the Christian faith.

It never gets old, reading these words, pondering Jesus’ gift, relishing my atonement and salvation. I will seek to chew on this truth throughout today. Reminding myself what Jesus gave will hopefully spur me on to live as my Savior lived. With compassion and love, speaking  His truth at every opening…

O, Jesus, thank You for life, abundant life, eternal life…

O, Jesus, thank You that You saw Your destiny to the end. “It is finished” rings life into our fallen world.

O, Jesus, I surrender to You, Lord, Savior, God and my God…

O, Jesus, thank You… Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment