Saturday, May 14: Job 2- Such faith.

I sit here this morning and honestly I don’t know if I could take what Job took… children and possessions dead and gone. Facing incredible personal pain with a body wracked with open wounds from head to toe and the one lone piece of his former wonderful life, his wife, ridiculing him and his faith. Could it get any worse? I am hard pressed to imagine worse.

Despite all this, Job maintains his integrity and will not curse You with his lips, God. That’s faith. That’s understanding that God calls the shots.

I can be so temporal; things going well, ‘thank you, God!’ Life situations turn sour, ‘Why me, God?’ Job’s response amazes me, "... Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" (10).

Everything comes through the hand of God, everything. And rightfully so, God is Creator and we are not.

Oh, God, it is so easy for me to get life upside down, to live as if I am on the top of the heap and You must serve me. How wrong is that? Lord, forgive me for all those times I do things like this… forgive me.

Lord, as I read of Job today, I am overwhelmed by his faith in You, faith that recognizes that You call the shots –all of them. Faith that accepts what You send. Faith which understands his place in the order of things. It is no wonder Job is listed in Hebrews 11, that great chapter on faith!

Jesus, Spirit, Father, develop in me faith like Job… to be unconditionally, no-matter-what-comes-my-way Yours. To You, O God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment