Thursday, May 26: Job 12- God is sovereign

 

Verse 10: In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.

Verses 13-14 "To God belong wisdom and power; counsel and understanding are his. What he tears down cannot be rebuilt; the man he imprisons cannot be released. And so Job continues extolling the supreme, absolute, sovereignty of God.

It is healthy for me to read and ponder God’s absoluteness. All too often life can be reduced to that which I experience. I can and do easily slip into a mentality where the world revolves around me. I become consumed by my problems, my issues, my rights, my understanding, explanations and wisdom, my aches and my pains. My, my, my; me, me, me… As great and important the sun might be for earth and our solar system, the sun is neither the center of the universe nor the source from which it was birthed.

As a human being, created in the image of God, I am important, I am endowed with dignity and sit above the animals in the pecking order of life.  However, never will I or any human being, be the center of existence or the source from which life has come. That place belongs only to the Lord God Almighty.

It is good for me to be reminded of that regularly. My role is to submit and follow wherever God leads and to do whatever God asks of me to do. My life call is to live as faithfully as possible, honoring God with each and every breath, remembering that even the faith I have is a gift from Him. My highest duty, as the confession says, is to love God and enjoy Him forever. And as scripture says, my duty is to give my life to the making of disciples who in turn will love God and enjoy Him forever.

Lord God, Father in Heaven, Savior Jesus, Holy Spirit, today I renew myself to Your call; to live for You, to abide in You and to serve You alone who is Lord of all. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment