Thursday, May 19: Job 6- In our moments of pain.

 

Job sounds a call common to all humans.  In a time of pain, particularly deep pain, we need others alongside. We are not meant to live life in isolation.  We are wired for companionship. Out of his pain and despair, Job speaks back at his friends…

"What strength do I have, that I should still hope? What prospects, that I should be patient? Do I have the strength of stone? Is my flesh bronze? Do I have any power to help myself, now that success has been driven from me? "A despairing man should have the devotion of his friends, even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty (11-14).

Job’s words are a cry for presence and devotion… someone to be alongside, not so much to ‘straighten him out and correct his thinking’ (oh, that may come in time). No, Job needs someone who, no matter what, is there with him. The word devotion is the Hebrew word ‘hesed,’ a word rich in meaning with something like ‘loyalty freely given’ at its root. Translations use words like kindness, mercy, loyalty, loving-kindness and steadfast love to convey its meaning in various contexts. It is a powerful word of connection and relationship.

That’s what Job cries out for in his hour of need.

God takes me from text to life with thoughts of friends who are in turbulent times… financial crisis, an unexpected layoff coupled with deeply uncertain future, life-threatening illness. How can I show my devotion to them? What can I do to be there for them? These are the thoughts springing from my time with Job today. What about you?

God, teach me ‘hesed.’ Let me experience it from You that I might give it back to You and to those key people in my life… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment