Wednesday, May 18: Job 5- Who do you reach out to?...

In times of misery and heartache, pain and sickness, loss and failure, to whom do you reach out for help and solace? Who? Who offers you an arm to lean on or a hand to get up when you stumble and fall? Who?

Job’s friend Eliphaz reminds Job that the Lord is there… reach out to God. "But if it were I, I would appeal to God; I would lay my cause before him. He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted. He bestows rain on the earth; he sends water upon the countryside. The lowly he sets on high, and those who mourn are lifted to safety… (8-11).

Sometimes we think that God doesn’t care about individuals, or God wouldn’t care about me –I’m not good enough. Whatever the reasoning, we are blocked from reaching out to God for help in times of trouble. But nothing could be further from the truth. Psalm 46:1 reads: God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Ever so faintly I hear the Spirit’s whisper in this scripture reminding me, “I am there, I am always there. Reach out for Me. Call out to Me. I will never leave you or forsake you.”

This promise from God doesn’t mean that all my problems will go away, but God’s presence will make a difference. Yes, it will.  I know I have experienced that more times than I can count.

The psalmist continues, Come and see the works of the LORD, …"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth" (Ps 46:8a & 10)

Go ahead, reach out to the Lord today…

God, thank You for being there for me and others… for being a call away, a guide, a strength, a counselor and consoler, a companion as well as Lord and God and so much more. Thank You for never leaving or forsaking me (us). I do reach out to You today. Be Lord of my day. Lead and direct me until I lay my head down to sleep tonight. Lord, help me with my troubles…

God, I cannot do life without You. I need You. Help me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment