Friday, September 16: Isaiah 20- The Lord speaks.

Ok, I admit this. This short chapter has little or no immediate connection with my life. I re-read it.  It took about 10 seconds. The next thing I know, three words spark some thoughts... the LORD spoke (2). I saw another 4 words, Then the LORD said (3).

God speaks! This is not a particularly new thought, but it is profound. God spoke to Isaiah (I admit I am glad God hasn’t asked me to go around naked for 3 years) and God spoke to the people…

I sat and marveled. Our God speaks. God communicates with people, one-on-one as He is right now with me during my devotions. And God speaks to a group. As elders I have been in meetings where clearly God has spoken to the group. One particular meeting we went from a group divided on very different approaches to a problem. Before prayer we had 2 divergent views- not contentious but strongly held, to after prayer a unified group with one approach to the problem… no hard feelings, no compromise we all were convinced God had spoken!

I served a church that contemplated a merger with another local church. We took three months of prayer for discernment, even as representing teams discussed the possibility. At the end of our three month season of prayer, the church body gathered and overwhelmingly the voice of the people said the merger was not of God. Then a couple of days later some facts came to the representative bodies that confirmed the merger could not work. It was clear a merger was not of God. God had clearly spoken.

Day after day I sit with Scripture open, believing God speaks and He does… even through chapters like Isaiah 20, if I will spend the time to listen…

Thank You, Lord God, for being a speaking God! Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment