Wednesday, September 7: Isaiah 12- Being real with God.

Praise, wonderful praise!  This chapter is totally praise. When God restores the remnant, when the shoot grows from the stump of Jesse, praise will erupt from God’s people.

One thing about Israel, they knew how to express their emotions to God. In times of joy, praise bursts forth in Israel like the singing of birds at sunrise. Many Psalms exemplify praise. Chapter 12 does as well.

In times of pain, sadness and bewilderment, Israel knew how to lament, to weep, to cry. Daniel’s lament over the destruction of Israel (Lamentations) and again, many Psalms are examples.

I found myself dwelling on Israel’s ability to be real with God, to express praise exuberantly when joy abounded and to weep rivers of tears when sadness ruled. My life and my emotions seem so muted compared to Israel.

Then I thought it is not the deep valleys and high mountaintops to which I should aspire, but rather the honesty in my relationship with the Lord. When pain hollows out my soul, to weep and cry out to my Lord expresses sincere relationship. And when joy blossoms, may praise flow.

Today I choose to sing with Isaiah because I know my Lord and I know that God’s salvation day is coming… I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."

So I will "Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted.

Yes, I will, Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. Shout aloud and sing for joy, …, for great is the Holy One … among you." (2-3, 5-6)

Lord, I know that Your day will come. That Jesus will reign over all the earth and all people will bow and worship You. I know that day is coming.  Father, You have set the time and date, and I will praise You as I await Your consummation and Jesus’ return. What a day that will be. Alleluia! Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment