Friday, September 23: Isaiah 26-Perfect peace.

I found myself drawn back to verse 3. I read it over and over, then I looked at it in different translations. I wanted it to sink in. There was something about that verse that beckoned me.

NIV: You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

NRSV: Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace-- in peace because they trust in you.

NASB: The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, Because he trusts in You.

ESV: You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.

Wow, I let this soak in. I read it over again in those 4 translations.

Perfect peace is the result, the result of trusting in You. All too often people seek peace but peace is the fruit of a life that trusts in You. Peace is the gift You give to those who trust in You.

My work, my effort as a person, is to keep my mind steadfast… steadfast on You, that is. I need to be training my mind to think on You, to ponder You and Your ways. In need to intentionally bring You with me into life. The by-gone phrase, “What would Jesus do?,” is one possible tool to keep myself stayed on You. But there are others. I pondered and these additional phrases/questions emerged:

What did God say on this matter?

What scriptures speak to this concern/issue/situation?

How did post-Pentecost apostles act in situations like this?

All of these phrases/questions necessitate that I know God’s Word and know it well. Hmmm, keeping my mind steadfast/stayed on You obviously necessitates that I know Your Word and treasure it in my heart and mind…

“Do you, Bill, do you?” whispers the Holy Spirit.

The words of Psalm 19:7-11 fill my thoughts and become my prayer…

The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment