Friday, September 2: Isaiah 8- In whom do you trust?

 

We have already read that Isaiah will have a hard word to bring to the people of God. This chapter’s message fits that bill.

Verses 6-7 capture God’s indictment and judgment of His people. Verse 6 is the indictment: Because this people has rejected the gently flowing waters of Shiloah and rejoices over Rezin and the son of Remaliah. God’s message: you have rejected Me (Shiloah was a place of God’s presence) and turned toward other people for your safety.

And God’s judgment: therefore the Lord is about to bring against them the mighty floodwaters of the River-- the king of Assyria with all his pomp. It will overflow all its channels, run over all its banks, what they feared will happen. They will be overrun by a foreign king (Assyria). Rezin and Remaliah will not be able to save them.

These verses raise the issue of whom we trust. Do I (you) trust in other people or human institutions like government or do we trust in God?

Being honest it is much easier to pose that question than to answer it. I’d like to believe I trust God but it is impossible for me to take people and human institutions totally out of the equation. After all, I pay attention to my retirement investments. I try to be a good steward of the resources God has given me, so I have a measure of trust in banks and the banking system. I am trusting that the government will keep social security solvent.  Again, this shows a measure of trust in the government.

Does this mean I am not trusting in God?  I don’t believe so. But honestly, I must remain vigilant about my faith and trust in the Lord.  It is all too easy to fall into trusting people and institutions instead of trusting in the Lord.

This is certainly worth some spiritual contemplation…

Lord, thank you for the mind You have given me. Help me, Lord, to use it to glorify You and to work and live in ways that honor You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment