Monday, September 19: Isaiah 22- A failed game plan.

Finally judgment comes to Jerusalem.  And what is their sin? They trusted only in themselves and not in the Lord. After listing some of Jerusalem’s preparations in advance of the Assyrian attack, which in and of themselves is not the problem, we come to the crux of their sin in verse 11. You built a reservoir between the two walls for the water of the Old Pool, but you did not look to the One who made it, or have regard for the One who planned it long ago.

Our ingenuity is never to become a substitute for God… that’s the issue for Jerusalem. They are repeating the sin of Babel (the Tower of Babel, that is.  Check out Genesis 11). Those people thought they could build a tower to God. We cannot. We will never and can never become God. And when we substitute anything for God, that “thing” becomes a rival god and that’s when God disciplines His people. Jerusalem thought they could protect themselves, by themselves, without God. And that’s where they missed the mark.

Now it is good to be ingenious and industrious but we need to remember and live, understanding that God provides the harvest (recall September 13 devotional).

Are you experiencing tough times in your life?  Those situations that can be exhausting? Yes, there are things I should/can/need to do. But key for me is remembering that God is the One who will provide the way out. I don’t want to fall into Jerusalem’s trap and find myself relying totally upon myself. That is a game plan sure to fail.

Think about it…

Lord God, I am so thankful that my life and my issues are in Your hands. Help me to do what I can/should/need to do, and to do them at Your leading and through Your power. To You be all the glory. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment