Tuesday, September 27: Isaiah 29- Pretending.

In gold rush days, prospectors panning for gold knew that every goldish shinny nugget was not gold. They couldn’t be fooled by outward appearance. They needed to check each nugget thoroughly.

Woes continue… like the words of judgment and destruction before woes mound upon woes.  A telling word came in verses 13&15. The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men. … Woe to those who go to great depths to hide their plans from the LORD, who do their work in darkness and think, "Who sees us? Who will know?"

How easy it is to pretend; to pretend to be someone or something we are not, to talk of God, to honor the Lord with choice words in particular settings. And yet it is all pretense and pretending. The word ‘hypocrite’ sounds harsh but that is what it really is… pretending, play acting because our hearts are far from God.

God calls Jerusalem on this.  As God’s Words ring out toward Jerusalem, they double back and fly at me…

Am I true to God in word and deed? Am I true to God in word, attitude and heart? I know I am not perfect but there is a HUGE difference between being a sinner and being a pretender. These verses are about pretenders…

Lord, search me and know me. Look deep, clean out the sin and imperfections within me, which are many. Refine me that I may glorify You. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment