Monday, April 14: Luke 20- Taxes.

I think because tomorrow is Tax Day, I decided to ponder Jesus’ Words about paying taxes. Keeping a close watch on him [Jesus], they sent spies, who pretended to be honest. They hoped to catch Jesus in something he said so that they might hand him over to the power and authority of the governor. So the spies questioned him: "Teacher, we know that you speak and teach what is right, and that you do not show partiality but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"

He saw through their duplicity and said to them,

"Show me a denarius. Whose portrait and inscription are on it?"

"Caesar's," they replied. He said to them, "Then give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's."

They were unable to trap him in what he had said there in public. And astonished by his answer, they became silent (20-26).

Before I even got to the issue of taxes, I wondered what it was like to be Jesus and to be under the incredible scrutiny that He was under constantly. For Jesus it was more than scrutiny, things grew to the point that the religious leaders were trying to trap Him. In our world we have laws against entrapment.

From a human point of view, Jesus had to be on His guard constantly. Certainly for those of us who are Christians in countries like the US, we do not feel this kind of pressure. We aren’t under the intensity of scrutiny that Jesus faced. But sisters and brothers in some closed or hostile-to-Christianity countries, probably relate with Jesus at this point far more than I do.

This reminds me to pray for my persecuted and harassed sisters and brothers. The daily prayer guide provided by Operation World (www.operationworld.org) is a tremendous resource for praying for the Church across the globe.

Back to Jesus story… I looked at US money. The name of our country is boldly printed on each bill. If Jesus were making His same point to people in my country, He probably would have said, Then give to the US what is the US’, and to God what is God's."

What do I owe the US? Taxes and voting come swiftly to mind. I may not like every policy out of Washington, I’m sure the Jews didn’t like everything from Rome and/or the Roman authority in Jerusalem, but according to Jesus they still should pay their taxes. The same is true for me as a citizen of the US. I think voting is a fair application as well.

Now to God… what is God’s? My very life belongs to God. And how do I give my life back to God? The great command… ‘to love God with heart, soul mind and strength and to love neighbor as self’ is a good starting point.

So on the eve of Tax Day, have I paid my taxes? Have you?

And am I loving God with everything I have and am I caring for my neighbors with the same care I would show myself? Are you?

Following and obeying Jesus isn’t easy…

I only have a few words to pray today, God.

Help me, Lord! Help me. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment