Thursday, April 17: Luke 23- Three words by a dying man.

Today Luke takes us through the trial and execution of Jesus. I was fascinated by and found myself considering the three times Jesus spoke as He hung dying on the cross. I wondered about the kind of words I would speak if I knew I was dying.

First a word of forgiveness. "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing" (34). Jesus forgave those who were unjustly crucifying Him, the soldiers gambling for his clothes, the Jews who lied and protested to see Jesus die. He forgave. What a powerful picture. I’ve stood by many graves, I’ve sat with many families Guilt is a common visitor in those days. People wishing they would have lived or behaved differently. Survivors feeling guilty for this and that. Jesus grants forgiveness to those who truly harmed him. He released them. He died in peace and plowed the way for them to seek the Father and find peace as well.

Second word, acceptance. "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise" (43). A dirty rotten scoundrel, dying for heinous crimes, turns to Jesus in repentance and Jesus promises welcome into His kingdom, Paradise. Amazing. I thought, first Jesus is full of forgiveness and now love. Dying as He was, Jesus was able to look beyond Himself and see the need of this other man and grant it. Acceptance, love, care and concerns are all words that fill my thoughts as I ponder this Word.

Three, surrender. "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit" (46). Jesus rests His head on the bosom of the Father and dies with peace-filled words of trust vibrating on His lips. The Father was in control. Jesus’ death, horrible as it was, was part of God’s perfect plan and Jesus trusted the Father. He loved the Father. He was at peace in the Father’s Will despite His personal agony. The picture I have comes from early parenthood. There was a time when one of my young children was in pain. Nothing we could do seemed to help. With my wife exhausted from a long day of caring for three kids, one who was sick and in pain, I was in charge… rocking, holding and praying,  Eventually we lay together on the floor. I was out of ideas. His breathing began to slow, his writhing with pain lessoned and as I held him close, he finally slept with my arms wrapped around him. I picture the Father with His arms wrapped around Jesus, as Jesus breathes His last. “Father I am yours” Jesus, in essence, says as He dies.

Three words from death’s door.

May I be so gracious when my day comes…

Thank You, Jesus… for Your life, teachings and atoning grace-filled death. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment