Saturday, April 19: 1Samuel 1- Unlikely People.

It felt a bit odd turning to the OT on this ‘rest’ day between Good Friday and Easter Sunday. And yet that is where my Bible reading plan took me.

In the book of 1Samuel, we will watch as the salvation plan of God continues to unfold. Major strides in the story will be told as accounts weave their way toward the great OT king, David, from whom the lineage of the Messiah will come.

Along the way we will meet many unlikely people, used by God, to bring forth His story of redemption.

Today we meet Elkanah and Hannah, faithful people about whom we know little else. Hannah, faithful, yet barren and Elkanah loves her despite her barrenness. It is a wonderful story of love and faithfulness, even when things are difficult.

In a wonderful and miraculous way that shows God is in control. Hannah becomes pregnant and gives birth to Samuel, her son, whom she dedicates (gives back) to the Lord.

Faithfulness is a theme that runs through the account. Elkanah and Hannah’s faithfulness to God and God’s faithfulness to His people and God’s mercy on Hannah.

We do not yet know how critical this story is to the unfolding redemption plan of God.

I found myself thinking… God continues to use unlikely people, regular faithful people, to advance His plan to make His name know to the ends of the earth.

I began to think, I am and you are unlikely people, hopefully faithful people and God has a role for us to play in advancing His kingdom.

I don’t know specifically what role God will have me play. However, I do know that the road to knowing is the same for me as Elkanah and Hannah, living faithfully day upon day, praising God for things done. Praying to God about the pains and heartaches of life. And following through obediently and dedicating the fruit of my life back to the Lord...

A thought to carry me today.

Lord, I give You today. Use my hours, thoughts, interactions with people, the work I do to bring honor and glory to You. May my life advance Your kingdom. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment