Tuesday, April 1: Luke 9- Life agendas.

Verse 51 seemed to leap off the page as I read it. Upon completing the reading of chapter 9, I returned to verse 51, praying that the Lord would speak.

As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem (NIV).

I looked up this verse in various translations. A number of others used the phraseology; he set his face to go to Jerusalem (KJV, NRSV, ESV). The NASV, God’s Word and ICB all translated it; he was determined to go to Jerusalem. And the Message reads, he gathered up his courage and steeled himself for the journey to Jerusalem.

What caught me was Jesus fixed on the task ahead…

·         Resolutely set out for…

·         Set his face to…

·         Determined to…

·         Steeled himself for…

The task was great and Jesus was ready to give what it cost. He was determined, set, and steeled Himself for the work ahead.

Then this thought snuck into my head, as followers we should emulated Jesus. We should be like Jesus. Soon these thoughts circled back around to me… “Am I resolute, steeled and set to do the bidding of Jesus with my life?”

Jesus showed no wavering, no distractions, no worries about self or comforts. He was on task and on mission.

I feel as if I am juggling multiple agendas:

·         I take part in Jesus’ agenda, advancing the Gospel near and far;

·         But I also have an ‘I-have-to-live agenda,’ working to eat, cloth and care for my family, including things like fun, sports, vacations, and the like;

·         I also have a relational agenda, maintaining friendships with those I love and pal around with.

I’m sure I could come up with other agendas in my life. What I am realizing is that I am a man of many agendas for life.  And though each one may be necessary, I seem to let my ‘Jesus agenda’ be the one which gets crowded out by the others.

Ouch, this stings…

How are you fairing?

Lord, thank You for this glimpse of honestly into my life. Forgive me where I am lax about the Your things. Forgive me where I am out of balance, generally tilted toward caring for self rather than giving self away.

Help me, Lord, find the strength in You to live for You. As The Message translation puts it, help me find the courage to steel myself for Your Work. This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment