Wednesday, April 2: Luke 10- Sheep among wolves.

Verses 10:1-4: After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves. Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road.

I want so much to be liked. I want people to appreciate the opinions and faith I hold and to agree with me. And yet, I hear Jesus saying as He sends out his disciples, Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves. That is not a very pretty image.

I lived in farm country and wolves and mountain cats would occasionally wreak havoc in herds of defenseless sheep in our community. And yet, that is precisely the image Jesus uses sending out is followers. And they are the sheep!

I sit here thinking. Being a Jesus follower is not easy. Not all people will be receptive to Jesus’ Message… but we go because there will be some in whom God is already working and who will be receptive. And this is the joy… this is why we labor. This is why we go risking life, reputation, what have you.

Too often in the American Church we think following Jesus should open us to a wonderful life, a safe and comfortable life. And yet, I read again what Jesus said, Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves. Are we somehow exempt from this word?

Lord, give me courage to serve You faithfully, no matter the reception, no matter the hardship. Lord, I pray for the strength to be faithful to You, first and foremost. My life I trust to You; here and throughout eternity You are my God and I will serve You, Holy and Merciful God- Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment