Wednesday, April 9: Luke 16- Wealth blessing and curse.

The opening parable always troubles me, so I spent some time looking into its background for better understanding. I will not reproduce my study here.  Instead, as usual, I will share my thoughts and musings as I talk with the Lord about His Word and what He might speak to me about through it.

I did find this background information helpful; it is from the IVP New Testament Commentary Series on Luke.

The use of wealth is the major topic of Luke 16. Wealth can be a blessing or a curse, depending on whether it is used as a means to exercise power, a tool of self-indulgence or a resource to serve others. Wealth's danger is that it can turn our focus toward our own enjoyment, as the rich fool showed in Luke 12:13-21 and as the rich man of Luke 16:19-31 will show. Money is a tool. It is an excellent resource when put to the right use. It can help to build many things of use to others. But to possess money is also to hold a sacred stewardship. Our resources are not to be privately held and consumed but are to be used as a means of generosity, as a way of showing care for our neighbor, as the good Samaritan showed in Luke 10:25-37 and as a restored Zacchaeus will show in Luke 19:1-10.

Two parables unique to Luke make this twofold point about wealth. Between the two parables comes a short description of the two periods in God's plan, with Jesus' declaration that the new era demands faithfulness in our commitment to others, just like the commitment a spouse makes in marriage.

Seen through the eyes of faith, wealth brings with it a blessing and a curse. Handled correctly, wealth can be a great gift to one’s faith. Trusting God for provision and then using what God gives to forward His kingdom is a tremendous blessing. Whether a person supports her/his local church, which nurtures the faith-life of many, or supports missionaries laboring for God’s kingdom around the world, or provides for various ministries that help the poor in Jesus name or reach out to kids… it is such a blessing to know that you are making a difference that can affect a person’s eternity.

But wealth carries inherent concerns, too. A person can put his/her trust in the wealth rather than in God. Also, it is easy to become corrupted by ones wealth and use it merely for self and self indulgence. The second parable shines God’s disgust on this option. This is the curse of wealth that the rich man faces upon death.

I find myself wondering about my use of the wealth God has given me…

Lord, do I steward what You have given me wisely or do I waste it? Lord, what do You have to say to me on this matter of use of wealth?...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment