Monday, April 28: 1Samuel 8- Rebellion within the ranks.

Rebellion can come in many forms. Israel’s rebellion today came in ‘wanting a king’. It appears that they were certainly correct in not wanting Samuel’s sons as their next human prophet/judge/leader. But asking for a king stepped over the line.

God understood it for what it was. And the LORD told [Samuel]: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king (7). Following Samuel’s rebuke we learn their desire has other roots, verses 19-20. They wanted to be like all the other nations! They wanted a king out front, a figurehead, just like everyone else. Israel’s request really was a rejection of the Lord!

It was not enough to serve the Lord who brought them out of Egypt, they wanted to be like everyone else.

As I pondered this, I see that this same attitude can creep into my life, too. I want to have a home like everyone else. I want to have cars like everyone else. Oh, the list goes on… the pressure to be like everyone else is enormous. And when this desire displaces the Lord in my life, it is just as much rebellion as Israel wanting a king.

Today’s time in the Word, opens up a number of areas I need to think much more deeply about…

Lord, help me to go to my deep places of wanting to be like everyone else… show me where sin lurks. And help me then to confess my sin to You for forgiveness. Spirit, empower me to repent of such and to turn back to You. Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment