Monday, April 21: 1Samuel 2- God says, "Trust me."

At times God moves His plan forward in strange and unexpected ways. Little Samuel being raised up while Eli’s sons will be brought low. All according to the work and will of God.

As I read this chapter I was reminded that the Lord rewards faithfulness and punishes wickedness. But even this does not always happen in ways we think are good and fair.

Take Hannah…. she was faithful, yet she had to endure years of ridicule and verbal abuse by the other wife before the Lord blessed her with a child. And then she willingly gave this child back to the Lord by taking him to live and serve the Lord at Shiloh. So the gift God gave her, she gave away. Yes, God blessed her with other children as well, but we never even learn their names.

Eli, by all accounts, was a faithful priest. Sadly, his sons didn’t follow his faithful path. They were wicked, despising the sacrifices and in so doing, dishonoring the Lord God. Eli rebuked them, so he didn’t sweep their insolence under the rug, but he probably didn’t discipline them as he should.

So in these three people, from the accounts so far in 1Samuel, we have quite a range. Hannah is faithful. Eli is a mixed bag, much good with some flaws. The two sons of Eli are wicked.

The chapter concludes with a pronouncement… judgment will come to the wicked sons and to Eli’s lineage and God will raise up a new priest.

We don’t know how long all of this prevailed but in the end, God judged.

I thought… God’s timing prescribes the course, not what I think or what anyone thinks. God allowed the wicked sons to prevail for a season. God allowed Hannah to endure hardship for a season. Eli apparently was given time to deal with his sons… if we stopped the film at any point before the end we could say, “Where is God? Why does He allow this?” And yet, God was working, bringing about His perfect time for His perfect plan.

To me, this morning, God says, “Wait, remain faithful no matter what happens and in the end you will see My handiwork. My plan is being worked out. Trust Me.

Lord, I trust You. You are at work in far more ways and areas than I will ever know. May I serve You faithfully all the days of my life. To You be honor and glory forever. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment